The Peoria Academy of Science and the Peoria Riverfront Museum are proud sponsors of the 31st Annual Science Treasure Hunt. The Treasure Hunt is a combination of family adventure and scavenger hunt focusing on science and technology facilities and resources in the tri-county area.
Prize entry rules and requirements
Eligibility: All entrants must be students between 1st grade and 8th grade on April 16, 2021.
Instructions: Visit ScienceTreasureHunt.org and create an account to view the various sites participating in this year's Treasure Hunt. Most of the Science Sites require an on-site visit but some are virtual, and the questions for those sites answered by searching online.
- Create an account by clicking "Get started" above, and choosing a username and password. You must enter your parent's email address when prompted.
- Our partner Science Sites have created a series of questions that can be answered as you visit them. Once you find out an answer, enter it on ScienceTreasureHunt.org using your computer or mobile device.
- Each Science Site has a short "authentication code", which you will need to enter to prove you visited the site. Be on the lookout for it, and enter it on ScienceTreasureHunt.org once you find it.
- There are also several everyday science experiments listed on SciecneTreasureHunt.org, complete with materials and instructions. When you complete one, submit your results online.
- Once you have visited eight or more Science Sites and completed eight or more everyday science experiments, you will be automatically entered into our prize drawing.
Selection of winners: Following the end of the Treasure Hunt at 11:59 PM Central Time on Monday, September 6, 100 winners will be chosen at random from the entrants. Each will receive several prizes consisting of books, puzzles, and other neat science stuff. Then, three of the initial 100 winners are randomly selected for additional prizes.
Frequently asked questions
- What are the dates for the 2021 Science Treasure Hunt?
- April 17 to Labor Day, September 6, 2021.
- After visiting the sites, how does a student enter the contest for the prizes?
- A student must enter the answers to each site's questions (along with the site's authentication code) into the appropriate section of ScienceTreasureHunt.org. Students must answer all questions and successfully enter authentication codes for at least eight sites, PLUS complete at least eight Everyday Science Experiments as listed on sciencetreasurehunt.org, in order to be eligible. Students are automatically entered as soon as they are eligible.
- How many winners will there be?
- 100 winners will be chosen at random from the entrants. Each will receive several items consisting of books, puzzles, and other neat science stuff. Then, three of the initial 100 winners are randomly selected for additional prizes.
- What are the top three prizes?
- The top prizes are really special. The top three winners will each receive a “science shopping spree” from the NASCO Science Catalog: the top prize being a $500 shopping spree, second place $250, and third $125. All winners are chosen at random since several hundred participants qualify each summer.
- When and where are the prizes awarded?
- Each of the 100 winners will be advised by e-mail or letter and invited to the award ceremony at Peoria Riverfront Museum on a date and time to be determined in September. They will receive their prizes there and participate in the drawing for the additional top three prizes.
- Does a student have to be present to be a winner?
- A participant does not have to be present to be one of the 100 preliminary winners. Those winners may pick up their prizes later at Peoria Riverfront Museum. However, the winners of the additional top three prizes must be present.
- Is there a charge to enter the Science Treasure Hunt?
- No, the Treasure Hunt is completely free to participate in. Some of our partner sites may charge an admission fee for in-person visits in accordance with their normal policy. There is no purchase necessary to participate.
- I'm a parent with more than one eligible student, can I sign them both up with my email?
- Yes. The only requirement is that they each choose a unique username.
- What do you do with usernames, email addresses, etc?
- Usernames, parents' email addresses, and participant names are kept private and are only used to facilitate the Treasure Hunt and are not disclosed to anyone outside of Treasure Hunt organizers for any purpose.